ROSEVILLE POTTERY 1900 - 1905 Part I
Vol. 2 Issue 7
Roseville Pottery began manufacturing stoneware in 1892 in a factory that was previously known as the Owens Pottery Company in Roseville, Ohio. Although, a second location in Roseville was purchased,
two other factories purchased in Zanesville, Ohio were to be the center of pottery manufacturing. The two locations in Zanesville had their own specialties. One of them produced utilitarian stoneware
and in 1900 the other began producing artware. In the beginning, distribution was done by peddlars who would go door-to-door selling Roseville's wares. Some of the early pieces prices were $1.25 for
a stork umbrella stand, $4 - $6 for pedestals and jardinieres, to $15 - $25 for a 45" tall" jardiniere and pedestal with a female head.
Initially, there were two lines produced. One line was hand-decorated by a number of top designers. But, later had been discontinued due to lack of interest. From then on, decorations were produced either
in the mold or decals. One of the first lines was brown glazed called "Rozanne" and a "Light Rozanne".
After the turn of the century until 1920 many pottery companies had a matte green line. Roseville was no exception. Roseville's first green line was made in 1904 and was called "Rozanne Egypto". It was
created by a native of Denmark, Christian Neilson, a graduate of the Royal Academy of Art at Copenhagen. There were two other green lines by Roseville; the "Chloron" line and the "Matt Green".
The "Rozane Mongol" line was a high gloss oxblood red line. It won lst prize at the St. Louis Expedition in 1904; gaining recognition for Roseville and its creator, John J. Herold. John Herold was a native
of Austria who was superintendent for the art department from 1900-1908. A new line was introduced in 1904 which was the answer to a very famous line by S. Weller Pottery; the "Sicardo" line. That line
was called "Rozanne Mara". It had three variations of a lustre glaze; an intricate pattern with a redlustre background, a subtle design blending into the background, and third a brilliant magenta with
highlighted areas of a metallic lustre.
"Della Robbia" was one of the most famous of the artware. It included vases, urns, tankards, and bowls in sgraffito, decorations colorfully enameled.
In 1903 an overglaze department was developed. Some of the decoration methods used were decals and a method called "pouncing". It involved waxed patterns being perforated to allow powdered talc to sift
through. The decorator followed the lines that adhered to the ware, adding tinted glazes. The third method was air brushing or sponges. The workers would follow the embossed lines.
When the artline was added to the commercial wares, after 1900, a identification system using a number code was introduced. A series of numbers indicated the particular type of ware and each number in sequence
within that series indicated the shape. This was discontinued in 1910 and reestablished in the early thirties. In addition to the number system was the cast mark along with the shape number and size to the nearest
Of the unmarked pieces found today, some were never marked, others were marked with a paper label.
Do not confuse the early RPCo mark with the R P C O mark used early at the Rookwood Pottery. RRPCO is not Roseville Pottery, it is another pottery company from Roseville, Ohio; Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery.
For more information on the history of Roseville Pottery examples of marks, and colors, click Here.
For some examples of Roseville Pottery, click Here and
Official Price Guide to Pottery and Porcelain - 8th Ed. - Harvey Duke
The Collectors Encyclopedia of Roseville Pottery - Sharon and Bob Huxford - First Series
The Collectors Encyclopedia of Roseville Pottery - Sharon and Bob Huxford - Second Series
Just Art Pottery
The next Nancy's Collectibles Newsletter will feature Roseville Pottery - Part II.
Questions? Email Us!
SIGN UP HERE!
Credit Card Payment Processing